Hair extensions are all the rage right now and allow many of us to get the hair of our dreams without having to wait for our hair to grow! There are also times our hair just won’t grow past a certain point due to many factors including genetics, over processing, age, breakage, diet, and other things. Worry not though, hair extensions could be the answer to your hair woes! Like with any investment you make in yourself, you probably have some questions before you take the plunge. The most common question when it comes to hair extensions is how long do hair extensions last? We’ll look further into that and all other things hair extensions!
What are Hair Extensions?
Hair extensions are a collection of either synthetic or human hair that are combined together to make wefts or warps to make sections that are ready to be added to your natural hair to give you volume, thickness, and longer hair. Hair extension lengths vary and they can be colored, washed, and styled just as your natural hair can be.
Synthetic vs. Human Hair
Both synthetic and human hair extensions have their pros and cons. While hair extension lengths typically come in the same varieties, their durability and lifespans are different. Synthetic hair extensions are made from fibers and tend to have trouble retaining moisture due to lacking natural proteins. Because of this they can also look and feel dryer and rougher. Human hair extensions look and feel much more moisturized and softer.
Synthetic hair extensions can be more difficult to maintain since styling them is tricky. These hair extensions can’t typically be dyed, straightened with a flat iron, or curled. While they have their downfalls, they are less expensive and might be a good starting point to see if hair extensions are right for you before investing in more expensive methods.
Human hair extensions can be pricey but will obviously look more natural, blend well with your natural hair, are silkier and softer, but also require good care and maintenance. You can dye, straighten, and curl these extensions and overall treat them as you would your natural hair. Read more about How Soon Can I dye My Hair Again To Fix it?
Different Types of Hair Extensions
- Clip-In: Clip-in hair extensions are either human or synthetic hair wefts that have clips attached to the base of the weft. These are quick and easy as you simply clip them into your natural hair. They don’t require any commitment from you as you can remove them as easily as you placed them to begin with. They also cause zero damage to your hair and can be easily done at home! Hair extension lengths for clip-in extensions typically range anywhere from 10″ to 26″. Clip-in extensions can last up to a year but it truly depends on how well you take care of them.
- Tape-In: Tape-in hair extensions are either human or synthetic hair wefts that are aligned with the root of your hair taped or glued in. As your hair grows, these will require maintenance. It is important that you are careful what products you use on your hair when you have tape-in extensions, as some shampoos, conditioners, and other products can cause the tape to be loose or come off all together. Hair extension lengths for tape-in extensions typically range anywhere from 10″ to 26″ and they last about 4-8 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows and how well you care for your extensions.
- Sew-In: Sew-in hair extensions are exactly what they sound like. Typically used for people that have thicker hair, the weave is combined with your natural hair, usually in a brain, and then sewn in. This is a method you most certainly want to leave to the professionals to do and can be pricey depending on the specifics. Hair extension lengths for sew-in extensions typically range anywhere from 10″ to 26″ inches and will usually last about 6-8 weeks. This type of extension can tamper with the way your natural hair grows, so you never want to leave them in too long. Consult your hairstylist for the best way to handle your sew-in extensions.
- Fusion: Fusion hair extensions use adhesives such as glue to fuse the extension to the natural hair. These extensions can last longer than other methods, sometimes up to 4 months, but it depends on how fast your hair grows as well as your hair type. Hair extension lengths for fusion extensions are typically anywhere from 10″ to 26″.
- Microlink: Microlink hair extensions sometimes are also known as bead extensions as a silicone-like small bead is used to attach wefts to your natural hair. Professional installation is a must with microlink, as they can be damaging to your hair if not installed or removed correctly. Hair extension lengths for microlink extensions are typically anywhere from 10″ to 26″ and they last up to 4 months if cared for properly.
Hair extensions can improve the look and feel of your hair, boost confidence, and make your hair goals a reality! Now that we’ve discussed the different types of hair extensions, pros and cons, and their various lifespans, we’re confident that you’ll be able to make an informed decision so you can get out there and strut your stuff–hair flip and all!